Share This Article
In conversation with Ms Arbita Chakorborty
Ms Arbita Chakorborty truly believes in the advice given by her Professor that during FPM, “It’s more about coming up with the right questions, instead of looking for right answers.” This is a bit of advice from an FPM Scholar to the upcoming researchers.
Arbita Chakorborty is pursuing a Fellow in Programme Management in Finance at IIM Udaipur. She also did her integrated M.com (2015-2020) from Tezpur University with Accounting and Taxation as her specialisation and has been awarded a Gold Medal for securing the 1st position.
After completion of the 5-year programme, she worked as a Research Associate at Tezpur University on a project sponsored by the National Foundation for Corporate Governance (NFCG) titled “Impact Assessment of CSR under Companies Act, 2013 in Assam – with respect to the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)”. Besides being an avid reader, she takes a keen interest in writing, craftwork and yoga.
Her research interests include Financial Reporting, Accounting Conservatism, and Corporate Governance. She loves writing and has won many awards.
She answered the following questions in this interview:
1. Why did you choose a Research Career? How did experience/instance encourage or prompted you to undertake research?
2. What made you choose IIM Udaipur for FPM? Did you apply to any other institute?
3. Many FPM/ Ph.D. aspirants are waiting to learn from you through your interview process. We request you to recall your interviews and help us understand the points kindly:
a. Interview duration,
b. questions on educational background,
c. work experience,
d. area of specialization,
e. subject related, i.e., technical proficiencies or general questions,
h. Research Proposal, etc.
(Share your experience)
4. What is the selection procedure at IIM-Udaipur, and how is candidate evaluation done (any idea)? Which one did you find more complex or requires more preparation?
5. Share some preparation tips with potential FPM/Ph.D. students.
a. How should one prepare to get into a prestigious FPM program?
b. Both physically (books to read, how many hours of preparation are required) and
mentally, how should one prepare?
c. What kind of preparation went into UGC -NET?
6. As per your experience, what qualities does an interviewer look for or want from the potential FPM/ Ph.D. student?
7. How has your experience at the Indian Institute of Management, Udaipur (IIMU) so far? (As a resident, and as a scholar)
8. What are the three things you love about IIM Udaipur?
9. What kind of career opportunities you would like to explore post Ph.D.? Any plans to go back to the industry?
Rapid Fire – (one-word/one-line answer)
a. An early morning ritual/ practice
b. A must-have item on your office desk
c. What’s your latest purchase to increase your productivity?
d. Your favourite book(s)
e. Your favourite quote that keeps you motivated
There are many other blogs from IIM Udaipur mentioned here: