PhD at IIM Bangalore | The doctoral programme of the Indian Institute of Management Bangalore (IIMB) leading to a Ph.D. is recognized as a rigorous research programme in various areas of business management and public policy. The doctoral programme is committed to training individuals to excel in their chosen areas of research and produce publication-quality work of international standards.
The mission is to:
- Provide rigorous, world-class, inter-disciplinary training in all areas of business management and public policy that will equip students with the ability to conduct cutting-edge, publication-quality research of international standard.
- Contribute to the creation and transmission of knowledge in all areas of business management and public policy with an emphasis on issues faced by firms and organizations in India.
- Contribute to the efforts of IIMB faculty in the creation, transmission, communication, and application of knowledge in all areas of business management and public policy.
- Help meet the teaching and research manpower needs of academia and industry by producing highly skilled individuals with exceptional analytical ability and training in conducting specialized research.
Specialization/ Areas (10 Areas)
- Decision Sciences
- Economics & Social Sciences
- Finance & Accounting
- Information Systems
- Organizational Behaviour & Human Resources Management
- Production & Operations Management
- Public Policy
Eligibility for PhD at IIM Bangalore :
Candidates should have
• A Master’s Degree (bachelor’s degree obtained in 10+2+3 pattern, followed by a master’s degree )
- A 5-year Integrated Master’s Degree (obtained after completing higher secondary schooling in 10+2 pattern) in any discipline, with at least 55* # percent marks in the bachelor’s as well in the master’s degrees.
- A professional qualification like CA, ICWA, CS, with at least 50* # percent marks
- A 4 year / 8 semesters Bachelor’s degree (10+2+4 pattern) with at least 6.5 CGPA or equivalent marks.
Test Scores for PhD at IIM Bangalore:
Candidates require a valid test score, from any one of the acceptable tests to the area(s) of specialization they are applying to, as shown in the following table.
|Specialization/ Area||Test Score|
|Decision Sciences||GMAT, GRE, CAT, GATE, JRF (NET), IIMB Test|
|Economics & Social Sciences||GMAT, GRE, CAT, GATE, IIMB Test|
|Entrepreneurship||GMAT, GRE, CAT, GATE, IIMB Test|
|Finance & Accounting||GMAT, GRE, CAT, GATE, JRF (NET)|
|Information Systems||GMAT, GRE, CAT, GATE, IIMB Test, JRF (NET)|
|Marketing||GMAT, GRE, CAT, GATE, IIMB Test|
|Organizational Behaviour & Human Resources Management||GMAT, GRE, CAT, GATE, JRF (NET)|
|Production & Operations Management||GMAT, GRE, CAT, GATE, JRF (NET), IIMB Test|
|Public Policy||GMAT, GRE, CAT, GATE, JRF (NET), IIMB Test|
|Strategy||GMAT, GRE, CAT, IIMB Test|
For more details visit:
Financial Support for PhD at IIM Bangalore:
- No Tuition Fees
|Year/ Stage||Stipend Amount (in Rupees) per month|
|After clearing the comprehensive exam||37000|
|Thesis Proposal Approval by the Thesis Advisory Committee||40000|
- additional financial support is available through the following
|Startup grant (in year 1)||Rs. 75000||purchasing research work related to hardware and software|
|Contingency grant (annual, in years 2-5)||Rs. 25000||purchasing hardware, software, books, and for meeting photocopying expenses.|
- Support for Fieldwork
- Support to attend International Conference/Workshop
- National Conference grants of up to Rs. 20,000 each towards accepted papers for three conferences for which prior approval is needed.
- International Conference grants of up to Rs.1,50,000 each towards a first accepted paper, and up to Rs. 75,000 each for subsequent conferences for which prior approval is needed.
- Accommodation ( non-residential subsidy) to Students who are not provided accommodation in the hostel
|Status||Amount (per month)|