Figshare: upload publish share, is an online digital repository where researchers can preserve and share their research items. The item formats that can be shared on Figshare, include figures, datasets, other media items including videos, papers including pre-prints, a thesis, posters, presentations, and the file sets including a group of files or collections, and more.
- Figshare was launched in January 2011. It is supported by the company Digital Science, operated by Macmillian Publisher.
- Figshare is working with some of the largest publishers, including Springer Nature, Taylor & Francis, Wiley, PLOS, and many others.
- Figshare complies with ORCID, NISO, COPE (or the Committee on Publication Ethics), and several other trade groups.
- Also, Figshare has reported over 26 million page views, more than 7.5 million downloads, 800,000+ uploads, 2 million+ articles, and 500,000 collections, and 5,000 projects.
- Figshare’s motto is “You retain ownership, you license it, you get credit, and they just make sure it persists.”
- While pursuing his Ph.D. in stem cell research, Dr. Mark Hahnel set up Figshare to manage the data. He did not intend to publish but wanted to disseminate the research findings, to get extra credit for his work, and to please his own ego.
Features of Figshare:
- Publish your research data
- Increase your scholarly impact
- Create DOIs
- Ensure compliance with grant funding
- an online data-sharing platform for academics and journals
- revolutionized data management for the research
How Figshare works?
- Figshare allows academics to upload, share, cite, and discover all types of research outputs, with the idea that the material will be preserved long term. It is freely available to the users for uploading the content. This free availability of the data gave access to the term known as “open data and open science”.
- Figshare has programs for individuals, publishers, and institutions. Users create an account and upload their research output in a wide variety of formats. All material receives a DOI or digital object identifier and all are distributed under a Creative Commons license.
- One of the positive sides of using Figshare is that it allows the researchers to publish the negative data. Many times, it is believed that the negative publications are withheld or don’t see the light of day because of bias, or the file drawer effect.
- By posting these research items and research data online instead of an offline article, will help in sharing the knowledge quickly and effortlessly.
The benefits of Figshare: upload publish share
- The data can be uploaded in the private mode and thus would not be visible to the public in general. You can make your postings available and thus can take an overview of the data found. So, you do not need to worry about your data
How can you contact Figshare?
For any support, you can contact via a support ticket, or email directly at email@example.com.For more information on Figshare, visit the official website….. https://figshare.com/