Share This Article
Doctoral & Post-Doctoral Scholarships can be availed after completing a master’s degree. Taking up a research degree is a big decision to make owing to the amount of time and resources it takes.
But one of the constraints that come in the way of a scholar, especially when the doctorate program is self-funded, is the cost of studying. Spanning over 3-5 Years, the doctorate course can drain your savings if there is no scholarship to back it up.
To give you clarity, Inkpothub has collated some of the popular Ph.D. scholarships in India that are known to offer a handsome amount to scholars thus providing a hassle-free journey in establishing your career in research. These scholarships can cover up your expenses whether studying in the country or if you want to attain overseas education.
Famous Doctoral & Post-Doctoral Scholarships are:
Prime Minister Fellowship for Doctoral Research
The Ministry of Human Resource Development under the supervision of the Central Government of India has launched a scholarship scheme to provide financial support to the meritorious students going for a Ph.D.
Offered to the candidates via IISc and IIT corridors, it is one of the prestigious Ph.D. scholarships in India.
Under the scheme, the scholar gets a monthly stipend of ₹70,000 for the first year which is increased to ₹80,000 per month during the 4th and 5th years of the program. The scholarship is offered every year and scholars from all universities in India can apply for the scheme through the official website.
Jawaharlal Nehru Memorial Fund Scholarships
Ph.D. scholarship offered to Indians as well as students of Asian countries. It provides selected candidates with maintenance fees including the tuition cost of their program worth 18,000 INR every month as well as contingent costs of books, stationery, etc. worth 15,000 INR every month.
Maulana Azad National Fellowship
The fellowship is provided by the Ministry of Minority Affairs of the Government of India. The objective of the fellowship is to provide students from minority communities with financial assistance to pursue higher education such as MPhil and Ph.D.
The Maulana Azad National fellowship can be availed by taking admission to any of the recognized universities in the country. One of the lesser-known Ph.D. scholarships in India, it is awarded to those candidates whose family income is not more than 6 Lakh. Under the scheme, the scholar gets ₹28,000 per month for 5 years. Candidates can apply for the fellowship on the official website of UGC.
NCERT Doctoral Fellowship for PhD
The fellowship is intended to enable young scholars to excel in research in their subjects of interest. The candidates who show exceptional aptitude for research are shortlisted for the fellowship. It can be availed by taking admission to a recognized university in India.
The NET qualified NCERT Doctoral Fellows will receive ₹25,000 per month for a maximum period of three years from the date of registration into a Ph.D. program. For the candidates who have not qualified for the NET exam, the amount is ₹23,000 per month.
Post-Doctoral Fellowship in IIM Ranchi
In order to create a supportive climate for research and invite young persons who have earned their Ph.D. and have publication records may be invited for a post-doctoral fellowship. These people will be working in collaboration with the existing regular faculty of IIM Ranchi.
- Each selected Research Fellow would receive a grant of approximately Rs. 50,000 per month.
- Contingency Grant: A contingency grant of Rs. 50,000 per annum will be provided to the post-doctoral research fellow for research purposes.
- The IIM Ranchi would pay the expenses for a fellow to attend one conference abroad from an approved list of conferences if their joint paper with a resident faculty member is accepted for presentation at that conference.
- Office space will be provided to post-doctoral research fellows along with a computer and printer. They will be issued a special research library card, enabling them to borrow up to ten books from the library at a time.
- A post-doctoral research fellow will be eligible for leave from the fellowship not exceeding 30 days in a year for each completed year of the fellowship. The leave can be availed on a pro-rata basis for the duration (on a 6 monthly basis) of the fellowship completed.
Post-Doctoral Fellowship at CHRIST (Deemed to be University), a Deemed to be University under Section 3 of the UGC Act 1956
The Fellowship assistance may vary depending on the Research Discipline and will be normally for a period of two years and extendable up to three years. In exceptional cases, the Fellowship tenure may be permitted up to five years depending on the nature of the Research Project.
This Fellowship Scheme is intended to provide an opportunity to young research scholars to continue with full-time active research in their respective field of specialization or a related new field or an interdisciplinary field.
During the fellowship period, the fellow shall be working under a Supervisor. The Scheme shall be coordinated and administered by the Centre for Research (Ph.D.) of the University in coordination with the Department concerned.
Post-Doctoral Fellowship Program at IIM Amritsar
It aims to provide an opportunity to young research scholars to pursue active research in their respective field of specialization within broad contours of business management. It is a full-time program with a duration of two years, extendable for another year subject to satisfactory progress.
IIM Amritsar offers post-doctoral fellowships to candidates who have strong academics
- A consolidated Fellowship amount of Rs 50,000 (Rupees fifty thousand only) per month
- Rs. 30,000 per year as the contingency grant to cover expenses related to attending conferences, workshops, purchase of books, and relevant research activities on a reimbursement basis, upon production of receipts.
- Rs.1,00,000/- (upper limit) for attending one international conference during their entire tenure with the post-doctoral program, on a reimbursement basis, upon production of receipts. This conference grant can be accessed only after completing the first year of the fellowship program and submission of one joint research paper with IIM Amritsar faculty member for publication in a reputed journal (with at least category B in ABDC journal rankings).
- Personal medical insurance cover as per the institute’s student welfare policy.
- Post-doctoral fellows may be provided with teaching opportunities. Institute will pay an honorarium for such activities in addition to the fellowship.
IGIDR Post Doctoral Fellowship
The Post-Doctoral Fellowship (PDF) Programme has been instituted in IGIDR as part of its outreach activities. Its objective is to support high-quality research by scholars with a doctoral degree and an outstanding academic record. Up to three fellowships are available per year. The fellowships are granted for an initial period of one year, which can be extended by a maximum of one more year.
Eligibility: Applicants should be resident Indians, under 40 years of age, secured a minimum of 55% aggregate marks or equivalent in the Master’s degree, and should have obtained a Ph.D. degree in the broad areas of Economics or Energy and Environment Policy.
Amount: Post-Doctoral Fellows will receive a consolidated amount of Rs.70,000/- per month for a maximum period of two years.