Share This Article
The department of Management Studies has a full-fledged Ph.D. Program at IIT Delhi in Management. With its liberal multidisciplinary approach, the department provides an excellent ambiance for research amidst the world-class infrastructure at IIT Delhi. In a recent Stanford study on Indian Universities doing research in social science, the Department of Management Studies, IIT Delhi has been ranked second in the Business and Management category. Surpassed only by IIM Bangalore, DMS is ahead of all other IIMs, IITs, and ISB.
The research areas are broadly classified into the following areas:
- Finance & Accounting
- Information Technology & Systems
- Operations, and Supply Chain Management
- Technology Management.
Shortlisting Criteria for Ph.D. Program at IIT Delhi :
After receipt of the applications, the department shall apply additional criteria, also called shortlisting criteria to select candidates to be called for a written test and personal interview at the department. This criteria is likely to change in every cycle and shall be published on the department’s website. The shortlisting criteria shall be published on the department’s website, at least two weeks before the interview date.
|Qualifying Degree||Minimum performance in the Qualifying degree||Qualification through national level exam requirements|
|General/ OBC (Non-creamy)||SC/ST/PH category||General/ OBC (Non-creamy)||SC/ST/PH|
|M.Tech./M.E./M.D or equivalent||60% marks or 6.00 CGPA on a 10-point scale||55% marks or 5.50 CGPA on a 10-point scale||Nil||Nil|
|M.Sc./MBA/M.A./ MBBS or equivalent||60% marks or 6.00 CGPA on a 10-point scale||55% marks or 5.50 CGPA on a 10-point scale||Qualified GATE/CSIR/UGC NET/ICAR/ICMR/DST-INSPIRE Fellowship|
|B.E or B.Tech equivalent||70% marks or 7.00 CGPA on a 10-point scale||70% marks or 7.00 CGPA on a 10-point scale||Qualified GATE/CSIR/UG NET/ICAR/DST INSPIRE Fellowship|
Only employees of Public Sector Undertakings or Government Departments or Research and Development Organizations or Private Industries (approved by Faculty Boards) are eligible for admission to these programs. The minimum qualification for these candidates is the same as for full-time candidates except that the requirement of qualifying in a national examination is waived off.
Sponsored (full-time) candidates
- If you are seeking admission to a Ph.D. program on the basis of study leave, must submit a “Sponsorship Certificate” on proper letterhead from the appropriate authority in the organization clearly stating the following: For the period of his/her studies in the program, the candidate would be treated as on duty with usual salary and allowances, and That he/she will be fully relieved and granted study leave for a minimum period of 3 years ( 2years for M.Tech. and equivalent degree holders).
- Also, you are required to submit a “No Objection Certificate” on a proper letterhead from the appropriate authority in the organization clearly stating the following: The candidate is permitted to pursue studies on a part-time basis; That his/her official duties permit him/her to devote sufficient time for research; Facilities for research in the candidate’s field of research are available at the candidate’s place of work, and he/she will be fully relieved from duty and permitted to reside at the Institute for the period required residency (This is not a requirement for candidates who are working in NCR or in organizations located within a distance of 50 KMs from the Institute).
Written test & Personal Interview:
The written test and/or personal interview shall be done on the same day. Both the test and interview will examine the candidates’ communication skills – oral & written, academic disposition, aptitude for management research, and research co-curricular activities. The test shall be for sixty minutes and of descriptive questions. Please do not ask for previous year’s exam papers as they could be completely different in every cycle.
The list of provisionally selected candidates shall be displayed in the department notice and will be uploaded in the department website.
Program Structure for Ph.D. Program at IIT Delhi :
The doctoral program broadly consists of the following stages.
- Completion of Coursework Requirement – You are expected to complete a certain number of credits / advanced level courses (Students with MTech / MBA / MPhil / Equivalent – 9 Credits; Students with B. Tech / Other Master’s Degree – 18 credits) related to your area of research. A course of one credit means fourteen hours of classes, with one hour per week. Normally courses are of three credits. Your thesis supervisor shall advise the same.
- Comprehensive Written & Oral Exam – After completion of course work, you will need to clear a comprehensive written & oral exam to undertake independent research.
- Presentation of Research Proposal – The presentation shall be done in front of a committee and the institute.
- Research work – Undertaking of research work as proposed.
- Presentation &Submission of Synopsis – Post research work, you will present the findings/contributions in front of a committee and the institute.
- Final Submission of the thesis – Submission of a hard copy of the thesis for internal and external evaluation.
- Thesis Defense – Open defense of the thesis in front of the external examiner and the institute.
- The presentation of the research proposal should be completed within 18 months and 24 months from the date of registration for full-time and part-time doctoral students respectively.
- The student is allowed to submit his/her thesis when two articles are published in peer-reviewed journals (or accepted for publication in a journal). The student is required to do original work and contribute to the body of knowledge in his/her respective area. The thesis submitted will be evaluated by two examiners (one within India and the other outside India). Favorable comments and approvals from the examiners are mandatory for the students to defend his / her thesis publicly.
- Program Duration: The duration of the program is 4 years with an option of finishing in 3 years. The maximum duration of the program is 7 years.
- Financial Aid: A scheme for the award of Teaching/Research Assistantship for providing financial assistance to the students exists. In terms of this scheme, those non-sponsored students who are admitted on a full-time basis are considered for the award of Half Time Teaching/Research Assistantship. These rates have been significantly enhanced by the MHRD recently and are as indicated below:
|Period of Assistantship
(With B.E./B.Tech/M.Sc / M.Techor equivalent qualification)
|First 2 years of registration||INR 31000 / Month|
|Next 3 years of registration||INR 35000 / Month|
More information about the Ph.D. Program at IIT Delhi :
Also, check the below blogs: