Share This Article
Kapil is a Decision Sciences PhD student at IIM Bangalore in the Decision Sciences area. He graduated with a master’s degree in mathematics from IIT Delhi and a bachelor’s degree in computer engineering from IIIT Chennai.
He worked as a Senior Data Analyst at Index Capital Management in Gurgaon before joining IIM Bangalore. His research interests include house price dynamics analysis, Spatio-temporal modelling, sports analytics, and the use of variable selection methods.
He worked at Indxx, LLC Gurgaon, India as a Senior Data Analyst in Engineering Division which is responsible for data analyzing and cleansing. He also developed and calculated In-house and client-based indices using SQL. He created the SSIS packages for loading daily financial data from ICOS(Data provider). – One of two project team members was chosen to visit the client’s office (Qontigo) in London to implement the studio project.
He also worked at the Indian Institute of Science Education & Research Bhopal, India as a Summer Research Intern, Department of Mathematics in the reading project in ordinary differential equations under the guidance of Prof. Ashish Gupta.
He won the Director’s Merit List Award at the Indian Institute of Management Bangalore in June 2022 for his best academic performance during the course work of the Doctoral Programme in 2021 – 2022.
He also attended Summer School & Workshop called Summer Institutes in Computational Social Science (SICSS) Delhi, India at Ashoka University & CSIR-Central Scientific Instruments Organisation in June 2022. The program involved lectures and hands-on tutorials from industry experts, and academic professionals across the globe.
He was one of the 25 participants chosen from a pool of applications from scholars all over the world. He worked on a project “The Data Visualization and Storytelling Bangalore, India” at the Indian Institute of Management Bangalore July 2022 – The goal of this workshop was to provide participants with a solid foundation in basic data visualization data storytelling learning concepts.
He had many scholastic achievements like he secured an All India Rank 235 in GATE Mathematics 2018, an All India Rank 30 in CSIR-NET Mathematics 2017 and an All India Rank 60 in IIT JAM Mathematics 2016.
He presented a paper at the 8th MathSport International Conference called “Does the outcome of a tennis match hinges on the opening set? An in-depth analysis of the Wimbledon data”- Kapil Gupta, Vijayshankar Krishnamurthy and Soudeep Deb June 2021. He also worked at Management Doctoral Colloquium Shodh Samagam measuring Batting Performance in Women’s Cricket – An In-Depth Analysis of One-Day International Matches.
Interview questions asked
- Why did you choose a Research Career? Why research in management? How did experience/instance encourage or prompted you to undertake research?
- What made you choose IIM Bangalore for FPM? Did you apply to any other institute?
- Many FPM/PhD aspirants are waiting to learn from you through your FPM/PhD journey. We request you kindly answer the following questions:
- Interview experience(if any),
- Work experience(if any),
- Area of specialization,
- Research interests,
- Research papers,
- PhD. Supervisor, etc.
(Share your experience)
- Congratulations on your recent achievement! What is the selection procedure for Director’s merit list, and did you find the process till now?
- Share some preparation tips with potential FPM/Ph.D. students.
- How should one prepare to get into a prestigious FPM program?
- Both physically (books to read, how many hours of preparation are required) and mentally, how should one prepare?
- What kind of preparation went into UGC -NET, Gate?
- As per your experience, what qualities a candidate should have to go for an FPM/PhD?
- Rapid Fire – (one-word/one-line answer)
- An early morning ritual/ practice
- A must-have item on your office desk
- What’s your latest purchase to increase your productivity?
- Your favourite book(s)
- Your favourite quote that keeps you motivated
Watch the Interview with Mr Shiril Saju