Sport management scholars, students, and practitioners can research over sports when they want to gain a deeper understanding of an actual real-life sports industry phenomenon or issue. These decision-making processes can be used by athletic directors for the team relocation effects, a sport merchandise company’s approach to expanding globally.
To verify a theory in the real world, it examines the validity of a theory in a particular sport organization or situation, to study the precise characteristics of a unique situation in order to make comparisons to other situations, or to research a phenomenon that has not been studied in order to discover new features (Ghauri & Gronhaug, 2005).
Therefore, in addition to examining and solving practical issues in the sports industry, research in sport management can also involve testing the existing theoretical concepts or even creating new theories (Maylor & Blackmon, 2005).
In a theory-testing work, the researcher can examine a case in order to evaluate, strengthen, or challenge a theoretical proposition (Edwards, 1998). This research typically explores, describes, illustrates, or explains a selected phenomenon in sport management. Research comes in three types that often overlap in sport management: explanatory, exploratory, and descriptive (Maylor & Blackmon, 2005).
As discussed in detail by Yin (2003), exploratory and descriptive research studies often answer research questions that address who, what, when, and where.
In explanatory research studies, the investigator seeks to answer questions about how and why research questions. It helps you understand why baseball ownership and management failed to adequately address the issue of steroids in the 1990s.
RESEARCH IDEAS IN SPORTS MANAGEMENT
- The strategic analysis of the sponsorship available to the sports team on the performance- collecting data and evidence from the past.
- Study of the Blue and Red ocean strategy in the context of cricket and celebrities in India
- Is protecting the rights of a sportsperson relevant in sports management? – the Olympics’ context
- Emerging “Disruptive Innovation” in sports training management
- The literature review analysis of sports management sustainable practices.
- A primary investigation of the use of drugs in sporting events.
- Internal organization and winning core competencies review lessons in sports management.
- The importance of sports knowledge for managing and reviewing sports events.
- How can a sports team go from good to great strategies and then turn to enduring results?
- Strategic huddle management lessons from sports and apply it to business.
- Study the cognitive and behavioral strategies of athletes in order to improve their experience and performance in sports.
- Gender biases in sports and management
- Best practices in the new policy formulation in sports management research
- Review of elite sports performances
- An analytical review of sports management with reference to spectators community management.
- Scope of study in sports management from the perspective of the various parties involved.
- Business implications of fully booked clubs over the sports management review.
- The managerial policies followed during COVID19 situation during 2021 – Olympics and Paralympics
- The importance of club management during sports management.